Eat More Haggis

Image result for haggis lovers

America has banned the import of Scotland's national dish, haggis, since 1971, yet if  recent media reports are to be believed these restrictions may soon be lifted by 'tweaking' the recipe.

Now quite what this 'tweaking' involves remains to be seen, but the controversy in America seems to revolved around the use of offal in the production of haggis, specifically the use of sheep lungs in the age-old recipe.

If so, the famous words of Groundskeeper Willie will also have to be tweaked to bring the business haggis making (for Americans at least) bang up to date. 

 


South Korea (6 August 2011)


I noticed the other day that the blog site had its first visitor from South Korea - a country which I am ashamed to say I know very little about.

Apart from a vague knoweldge about the Korean War - which inspired the iconic TV series M*A*S*H* - the only things I know about South Korea have to do with food.

Because I like cooking - and consider myself to be quite a good cook if I put my mind to it - with a taste for all kinds of food - from all round the world.

I have an eclectic taste in food - and here are two things I can share with readers about the cuisine in South Korea.

1 Bulgogi is the country's national dish - a spicy, sweet and savoury mixture of sliced beef marinated in pears and soy sauce - then grilled to perfection and served with rice.

2 Kimchi is another national dish I suppose, but a vegetarian one made from cabbage and hot chilis - this devils brew is fermented in clay pots and buried underground for months, traditionally - before being dug up and enjoyed at all times of year.

Now Kimchi sounds disgusting, I know - but don't scoff.

Because what would your average South Korean think about Scotland's national dish - haggis?

And this reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons - in which groundskeeper Willie is reminiscing fondly about Scotland's pride and says something along the lines of:

"Get yer haggis here. Chopped heart and lungs - all wrapped up in a wee sheep's stomach. Tastes as good as it sounds!"

After that Kimchi sounds like an wonderful, unmissable delicacy.

And the good news is that you can find it right here in sunny Glasgow - at an unprepossessing little restaurant over in Finnieston - which I can heartily recommend.

MASH - by the way - stand for Mobile Army Surgical Hospital - and the final episode was the most watched programme ever in American television.


Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence