Awesome, Dude! (08/07/13)



Have you ever read a more embarrassing letter than this resignation letter from Tom Watson MP - to the Labour leader Ed Miliband?

Sycophantic and self-serving were the words that came to mind as I was asked to believe that Tom's resignation had nothing to do with the Unite vote rigging scandal in Falkirk - yet things only got worse as Tom (46) signed off with a flourish by advising Ed on his taste in music and recommending an 'awesome band'.    

Apparently this is the third time that Tome Watson has resigned from the Labour front bench - most notoriously in an organised coup against Prime Minister Tony  Blair to pave the way for Tom's pal and political mentor - Gordon Brown.

And look at how that turned out - which tells you something about Mr Watson's politics and modus operandi - and helps to explain why the Labour is in such a terrible mess these days, as the politics of trade unions bosses exert ever increasing influence over the Party - with their traditional emphasis muscle, money and organisation over the battle of ideas. 

Now Tom Watson has his admirers - including Ed Miliband who rejected his earlier offer to resign - and his dogged pursuit of News International was a real achievement for his CV even if it conveniently ignored Labour's close relations with the Murdoch empire is happier days.

But I've never been a big fan, I have to say - he reminds me of a big kid who never grew up - but more in the manner of a Billy Bunter figure as opposed to Peter Pan.

Dear Ed,

I said that I’d stay with you as general election co-ordinator within the Shadow Cabinet as long as I was useful. I think it would be a good idea for you, and me, if I stood down from the role now.

As you know, I offered my resignation on Tuesday and you asked me to reconsider. I’ve thought about it and still feel it is better for you and the future unity of the party that I go now. There are some who have not forgiven me for resigning in 2006. I fully accept the consequences of that decision and genuinely hope my departure allows the party to move on.

Yet it’s not the unattributed shadow cabinet briefings around the mess in Falkirk that has convinced me that the arrangement has run its course (though they don’t help). I believe that the report should be published – in full – and the whole truth told as soon as possible so that the record can be made clear. I’ve still not seen the report but believe there are an awful lot of spurious suppositions being written.

I wish to use the backbenches to speak out in areas of personal interest: open government and the surveillance state, the digital economy, drones and the future of conflict, the child abuse inquiries, the aftermath of the Murdoch scandal and grass roots responses to austerity.

Having resigned a couple of times before, I know how puckish lobby hacks might choose to misconstrue the departure. So to make it harder for them let me say this: I’m proud of your Buddha-like qualities of patience, deep thought, compassion and resolve. I remain your loyal servant. I’ll always be on hand to help you if you need me. I just don’t think you need me in the Shadow Cabinet any more. After nearly thirty years of this, I feel like I’ve seen the merry-go-round turn too many times. Whereas the Shadow Cabinet’s for people who still want to get dizzy.

You have it in you to be an outstanding Labour Prime Minister. The road ahead is always rocky but I will be with you all of the way, cheering you on from the backbenches. You’re my friend and leader, and I’m going to do all I can to make sure you win in 2015.

Here’s my parting thought:

John Humphrys asked me why you were not at Glastonbury this weekend. I said Labour leaders can’t be seen standing in muddy fields listening to bands. And then I thought how terribly sad that this is true. So: be that great Labour leader that you can be, but try to have a real life too. And if you want to see an awesome band, I recommend Drenge.

Yours sincerely,


Tom Watson

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!