Fight For Equal Pay

Image result for made in dagenham + images

I contacted the SNP candidate, Lisa Cameron, who is contesting the Westminster seat of East Kilbride, Strathaven and Lesmahagow with Labour's Michael McCann, who was the deputy leader of South Lanarkshire Council (SLC) until 2010. 

Now as regular readers know I go back a long way with South Lanarkshire and for many years the political leadership refused to accept that the Council had any problems with equal pay and this stubborn, head-in-the sand attitude lasted right up until 2013 when SLC finally received a well deserved 'kicking' at the hands of the UK Supreme Court.   

So I'm delighted to help Lisa Cameron set out her views on equality issues generally and the fight for equal pay in South Lanarkshire, in particular, because I'm sure there are lots of Action 4 Equality Scotland (A4ES) clients out there who will be interested in what she has to say.

I would just add that I completely agree with Lisa that trade unions are a force for good, by and large, so long as they are genuinely representative of the workforce, both in terms of the policies that unions' pursue and the key figures who occupy leadership positions.

Because if trade unions are dominated by only one political party, then they become unrepresentative 'chum clubs' that have a tendency to get far too close to employers and sometimes the government of the day, instead of looking after the interests of ordinary union members.

So I wish Lisa Cameron well in her battle with Michael McCann and I suspect regular readers can guess all too easily which way I would cast my vote because 'what goes around, comes around', as they say.

Image result for what goes around comes around 

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!