Glasgow Pho

Image result for pho images

Glasgow has acquired a Vietnamese since I wrote this post back in 2001 and it's called The Hanoi Bicycle Club which is in Ruthven Lane if I remember correctly, just off Byres Road in the west end.

Very good it is too and you can get a bowl of Pho along with lots of other tasty treats. 


Good Morning Vietnam (13/10/11)

Vietnam is the latest country to produce a flood of visitors to the blog site - which intrigues me no end.

What do I know about Vietnam?

Not a lot it has to be said - other than what I've seen in films or on the TV - and most of it is viewed through the terrible prism of the Vietnam War. 

But I do know something about the cuisine - Pho is the national dish, I seem to recall - a hot, spicy noodle broth which people eat at all times of day - including breakfast.

As far as I know there's not a Vietnamese restaurant in Glasgow or Edinburgh - more's the pity - but there are plenty when you travel abroad - in France for example.

The French colonised Vietnam long before America tried to impose its will - and apparently have left behind a love of their famous crusty white bread - among the indigenous population.

So don't be surprised to be offered some - when you order a bowl of Pho.

Vietnamese food is not unlike Chinese cuisine - though more delicate and aromatic in my opinion - with a huge array of choice for vegetarians - where meat is used sparingly but to great effect.

I watched a crazy 'special' episode of Top Gear a while back - in which the old petrolhead Jeremy Clarkson and his two wing men - travelled the length of Vietnam on motorbikes and scooters.

But the programme did justice to the natural beauty of the country - and the courage of its people.

Who at long last are at peace after decades of war - I wish them well.

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!