All in the Family (30/10/09)

The Daily Telegraph was first out the traps again - this time with extracts from 17 MPs who have made a case that they should not be banned from employing their spouses or other family members.

A ban has been recommended by Sir Christopher Kelly - who is carrying out an independent review of MPs expenses and allowances.

Here's what the MPs had to say on behalf of their nearest and dearest - readers can judge for themselves which of the following the MPs deserve:


a) public sympathy
b) a good pyschiatrist
c) a good kicking at the polls

Adrian Bailey
Labour MP for West Bromwich West
Employs wife, Jill Bailey, as Senior Secretary
“It should be allowable as family members are often more knowledgeable, experienced and committed than others.”

Kevin Barron
Labour MP for Rother Valley

Employs sister-in-law, Sheena Woolley, as Secretary
“The essential thing is that they do the work they are paid for and that I can trust them implicitly, especially with confidentiality and the political sensitivities of the job.”

Margaret Beckett
Former foreign secretary and Labour MP for Derby South
Employs husband, Leo Beckett, as Office Manager
“Some years ago, I encountered one of the best organisers and managers I have ever met, whose judgement of people is extremely shrewd and whose advice I have often found invaluable. We later married.”

Peter Bone
Conservative MP for Wellingborough
Employs wife, Jeanette Bone, as Executive Secretary
“Members of Parliaments’ personal or secretarial assistants often have to work at midnight or later, work extremely long hours at short notice, and need to have the complete confidence of the Member of Parliament. Spouses are in a unique position to provide that service.”

Malcolm Bruce
Liberal Democrat MP for Gordon
Employs wife, Rosemary Bruce, as Office Manager and Diary Secretary
“Having my wife as office manager, diary secretary and constituency PA operating from an office in our home is invaluable not only to me but, I strongly believe, to constituents and other organisations I deal with as part of my parliamentary and constituency duties.”

David Clelland
Labour MP for Tyne Bridge

Employs wife, Brenda Graham, as Secretary
“My own wife has worked for me for 23 years (although she has only been my wife for 5 years). She is an Honours graduate in History and Politics and came to me from a very senior job with the Association of Metropolitan Authorities in London ... she is the hardest working person I have ever known.”

Roger Gale
Conservative MP for Thanet North

Employs wife, Suzy Gale, as Office Manager
“My wife Suzy was and remains as committed to the task as I am myself and I quite simply could not have devoted the time and energy that I have put into parliamentary life without her rock-solid support and backing not only as my wife but as what is now known as my 'Chief of Staff’.”

David Hamilton
Labour MP for Midlothian
Employs wife, Jean Hamilton, as Office Manager
“Whilst my staff is happy to work out of hours I am not prepared to call on them late at night as a matter of routine. The nature of the fusion between personal and professional relationships with my wife removes this problem and I am able to call upon 24/7 support.”

Iain Liddell-Grainger
Conservative MP for Bridgwater
Employs wife, Jill Liddell-Grainger, as Research/Parliamentary Assistant
“The public only observe the closeness of the relationship and may assume – wrongly I contend – that preferential treatment has been given to the new employee. I rely on Jill to be my eyes, ears and common sense thermometer – 24 hours a day. She is as much on duty in our village as she is ... at Westminster.”

Peter Luff
Conservative MP for Mid Worcestershire

Employs wife, Julia Luff, as Secretary
“This entirely normal relationship brings great advantages to the work of MPs and so to their constituents, as well as help sustain their family relationships which are put under great strain by an MP’s lifestyle. My wife wanted to return to work, but also needed to because of the large salary drop I took to become an MP … The ability to employ my wife was central to my decision to become an MP and I would seriously consider leaving the House if I were no longer allowed to do so.”

John Mann
Labour MP for Bassetlaw

Employs wife, Joanna White, as Office Manager
“All staff related to MPs and all staff holding elected public office should be job evaluated independently and immediately and appropriate action taken if they are found to be overpaid or not carrying out the duties listed in their contract of employment.”

Andrew Miller
Labour MP for Ellesmere Port and Neston
Employs wife, Fran Miller, as part-time Secretary/Office Manager, and cousin, Julie Spencer, as part-time Senior Researcher/Parliamentary Assistant
“My wife would have been paid more [if] she [had] continued as a school teacher, she works for me for four days a week, although in reality does considerable more than that where she is not paid, including as I have pointed out to the Daily Telegraph, work at weekends and discussion on casework on the telephone late at night.”

Meg Munn
Labour MP for Sheffield Heeley
Employs husband, Dennis Bates, as part-time Researcher/Parliamentary Assistant and sister-in-law, Deborah Stenton, as Caseworker/Secretarial Assistant
“New arrangements should be in place for staff to ensure they are being appropriately employed … the MP could make a statement on why they believe the person is capable of undertaking the tasks in the job description, including previous experience and qualifications. This could provide greater reassurance that any relatives who are employed are suitable for the job.”

Nick Palmer
Labour MP for Broxtowe

Employs wife, Fiona Palmer, as part-time Senior Caseworker
“It really is very useful to have an assistant available out of working hours, and if this is to be a long-term commitment then a family member or partner is the only plausible candidate. Open recruitment would not work if the assistant has to be on hand at (say) 11pm on a Sunday night.”

Ian Taylor
Conservative MP for Esher and Walton
Employs wife, Carole Taylor, as part-time Senior Parliamentary Assistant
“I do employ my wife part time under contract, and she in fact works under direction of my senior staff member. She not only contributes but feels involved in the work I do.”

Matthew Taylor
Liberal Democrat MP for Truro and St Austell
Employs wife, Victoria Taylor, as part-time Researcher
“As with many small businesses this can be the most viable way of running an MPs’ office and keeping family together, especially given MPs are working at two ends of the country and unsocial hours.”

David Wilshire
Conservative MP for Spelthorne

Employs partner, Ann Palmer, as Office Manager
“My partner … has a formal job description and a proper contract … She has the necessary skills and her personal knowledge of my constituency is second to none … she devotes many additional hours without extra pay ... Additionally, it enables us to see each other during the working week.”

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!