NLC Rumour Mill




A regular reader from North Lanarkshire has been in touch to say that a local (NLC) councillor, a Labour councillor I presume, is having plenty to say about the lack of progress in resolving all the outstanding equal pay claims.

Apparently, this councillor is telling people that the 'impasse' is not the fault of the council and not the fault of the unions (who would have accepted the Council's proposals allegedly), but is down to Action 4 Equality Scotland (A4ES) digging in its heels and being completely unreasonable.

Me, unreasonable?

Why, it reminds me of the days when South Lanarkshire Council had the audacity to call me 'vexatious' in response to a perfectly legitimate FoI request - and just look what happened to their case.  

So, to be honest I would take all this nonsense with a great big pinch of salt, although it is disturbing to think that councillors (presumably Labour councillors) are being  badly misinformed and fed a diet of such pap.

The 'learned' councillor also says that the Council is planning to write to all claimants directly, i.e. over the heads of their representatives, but I have to say this would be a very silly and counterproductive thing to do because the A4ES claimants would not trust a single word the Council has to say. 
My advice is to Action 4 Equality Scotland clients is to sit tight, hold your nerve and don't pay any attention to what the rumour mill has to say - the Council's position is weak and it's getting weaker by the day.  


Me, Vexatious? (2 December 2013)



Here are two previous posts to the blog site which pokes fun at South Lanarkshire's  original claim that my freedom of information request - to the council was 'vexatious'.

Now I'm pretty sure my request for information on the pay scales applied to traditional male jobs was inconvenient for the council - because it would prefer to keep these details secret. 

But to my mind South Lanarkshire's claim that my request was 'vexatious' was then  (and is now) a load of old baloney - a deliberate, cynical abuse of the FOI process.

If the people responsible for this farce at the Council had any integrity - they would apologise now for their disgraceful behaviour.

Me, Vexatious? (19 March 2011)
I allowed myself a wry smile while reading the decision of the Scottish Information Commissioner (SIC) - regarding South Lanarkshire Council.

See post dated 18 March 2011 - Colonel Gaddafi in Disguise.

The reason being at Paragraph 3 the SIC decision records South Lanarkshire's response to my FOI requests - which the council had the bare faced cheek to describe as 'vexatious'.

Now vexatious has a specific meaning in this context - it suggested that my FOI request had absolutely no merit - and was being pursued solely to harass and annoy the council.

Me, vexatious?

Well clearly that was a load of old baloney - like a lot of things South Lanarkshire says - a cynical delaying tactic that was given short shrift by the Scottish Information Commissioner - who went on to uphold my appeal.

Nothing that South Lanarkshire does these days surprises me - the council is desperate to prevent the truth emerging about its behaviour - which is why it resorts to such tactics.

If you would like a copy of the Scottish Information Commissioner's decision - drop me a note at:markirvine@compuserve.com

Colonel Gaddafi in Disguise (18 March 2011)

Good news!

The Scottish Information Commissioner (SIC) has upheld my appeal - over South Lanarkshire Council's refusal to publish pay information - regarding the earnings of traditional male jobs.

Now this has been a long and winding road - with South Lanarkshire fighting every step of the way to keep this information under wraps.

And yes this is the same South Lanarkshire Council - which had the following proud boast on the council's web site:

"Freedom of Information legislation is designed to ensure openness and accountability. This means that wherever possible, we will make the information you request available to you."

I say if that's an accurate reflection of South Lanarkshire's approach to Freedom of Information - then I'm really Colonel Gaddafi in disguise.

I will have more to say about the Information Commissioner's decision - in the days ahead.

In the meantime, if you would like a copy, please drop me a note at: markirvine@compuserve.com

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!